Ur-Priest - General Prestige Class
This is a general Prestige class that may be applicable to the Forgotten Realms Campaign
Ur-priests despise gods. However, a small number of them have learned to tap into divine power and use it for their own needs without praying to or worshiping a god. Instead, each day they go into a trance and mentally steal the power that gods normally channel to devout clerics. Ur-priests are canny and cunning, never stealing too much power from any one god, but instead metaphysically slipping in, drawing our the power they need for their spells, and slipping out again. They learn to be resilient toward divine power and creative with the energies that they steal. The greatest ur-priest commands the level of power of the most powerful cleric, although she does not have the cleric's variety of spellcasting options.
A member of any class can become an ur-priest, even - and in fact, especially - an ex-cleric.
Ur-priests frequently work alone, although they occasionally find partnerships with members of other classes useful. They do not congregate into anything resembling temples, for they fear that too many of them in one place might draw unwanted divine attention. And of course they rarely associate with clerics or any other divine spellcasters, whom they see as lackeys and who view them as abominations.
Hit Die: d8
To qualify to become an Ur-Priest, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
- Alignment: Any evil.
- Skills: Bluff 6 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 5 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks, Knowledge (the planes) 5 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks.
- Feats: Iron Will, Spell Focus (evil),
- Base Save Bonus: Fort +3, Will +3.
- Special: The character must have no ability to cast divine spells. If that ability was previously possessed (as with an ex-cleric), the ability must be forever forsaken.
- Special: The character must be trained by another ur-priest.
All the Prestige Classes material is © Hasbro 2003, 2004 and used without their permission - so make them happy and buy the book.