Winterhaunt of Iborighu - Frostfell Prestige Class
This Prestige class uses elements that may not be applicable to the Forgotten Realms Campaign
The cult of Iborighu is a menace not only in the frostfell, but in any region they target with their cold desires. As minions of the Frozen King, the winterhaunts of Iborighu lust for nothing less than eternal winter; they aim to bring down upon the world an eternal ice age, a never-ending winter ruled and maintained by their dread deity. While such grand designs might make one dismiss the cult of Iborighu as a collection of harmless lunatics, the terrible truth is that they have made significant strides in the frostfell areas of the world ... many of which were actually created by the cult. Winterhaunts are especially feared in the frostfell for their ability to wield cold magic so powerful in nature that it can even harm creatures normally immune to cold.
Most winterhaunts were either clerics of Iborighu or druids, although a fair number also take several levels of barbarian or ranger to enhance their combat prowess. The most sought-after winterhaunts, though, are wizardly winterhaunts, for the magic they wield is especially potent. Iborighu is traditionally a deity of the uldra, although he has always accepted worshipers of all races. Evil uldras remain his most common worshipers, but a fair number of humans, neanderthals, and frost giants worship the Frozen King as well. All prospective winterhaunts must first prove their skill to the Frozen King's cult by successfully crafting an iceheart, a magic item capable of maintaining supernatural cold in an area and bestowing resistance to cold upon its owner. Supplicants gain the ability to craft this item, even if they are not uldras.
Winterhaunts generally build fortified temples into the sides of glaciers, icebergs, and permanently frozen lakes, constructing huge ice buildings and dungeons in which to dwell. From these icy temple-fortresses they launch attacks on the frostfell, seeking suitable sacrifices for Iborighu. In particular, they seek out rimefire witches in an eternal holy war to finish the job that their deity began so long ago - the final eradication of the cult of Hleid from the ice. Lone winterhaunts are often encountered far from the naturally occurring frostfell regions, in temperate and even tropical regions where they use icehearts to seed magically sustained miniature frostfell areas in their ongoing project to bring down perpetual winter to the world.
Hit Die: d8
To qualify to become a Winterhaunt of Iborighu, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
- Alignment: Chaotic neutral, chaotic evil, or neutral evil
- Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 5 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks.
- Feats: Chosen of Iborighu, Craft Wondrous Item, Piercing Cold,
- Spells: Able to cast 1st-level divine spells.
- Patron Deity: Iborighu.
- Special: The character must successfully create an iceheart. This can be either a minor iceheart or a major iceheart; most prospective cultists opt to create a minor iceheart, naturally. The iceheart, once created, serves as the winterhaunt's badge of office in the cult; if it is lost or destroyed, he must replace it with a new one within a week. Failure to do so results in the loss of all spellcasting and supernatural abilities granted by this prestige class. Regaining these abilities is possible only if the winterhaunt gains a new iceheart and then receives an atonement spell.
All the Prestige Classes material is © Hasbro 2003, 2004 and used without their permission - so make them happy and buy the book.